Climate Action 100+ is an investor initiative launched in 2017 to ensure the world’s largest corporate greenhouse gas emitters take necessary action on climate change.
More than 320 investors with more than $33 trillion in assets collectively under management are engaging companies on improving governance, curbing emissions and strengthening climate-related financial disclosures.
The companies include 100 ‘systemically important emitters’, accounting for two-thirds of annual global industrial emissions, alongside more than 60 others with significant opportunity to drive the clean energy transition.
Climate Action 100+ is coordinated by five regional partner organisations:
- Asia: Asia Investor Group on Climate Change (AIGCC)
- Australia and New Zealand: Investor Group on Climate Change (IGCC)
- Europe: Institutional Investors Group on Climate Change (IIGCC)
- Multi-region: The Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI)
- North America: Ceres
Climate Action 100+ is governed by a global Steering Committee made up of 10 members. Five are the lead executives of the partner organisations above. The other five represent investor signatories in each of the five regions.
Members of the Climate Action 100+ Steering Committee are:
- Stephanie Maier, Director of Responsible Investment, HSBC Global Asset Management (Steering Committee Chair)
- Stephanie Pfeifer, Chief Executive Officer, Institutional Investor Group on Climate Change (Steering Committee Vice Chair)
- Rebecca Mikula-Wright, Director, AIGCC
- Andrew Gray, Senior Manager of Investments Governance, AustralianSuper
- Anne Simpson, Director of Board Governance and Strategy, CalPERS
- Mindy Lubber, CEO and President, Ceres
- Emma Herd, CEO, Investor Group on Climate Change
- Laetitia Tankwe, Responsible Investment Adviser, Ircantec President Jean-Pierre Costes, Groupe Caisse des dépôts
- Emily Chew, Global Head of ESG Research and Integration, Manulife Investment Management
- Fiona Reynolds, CEO, Principles for Responsible Investment
The remit of the Steering Committee includes responsibility for the governance and strategy of Climate Action 100+, its ultimate mission and purpose, and its performance as an initiative.
The role of Steering Committee chair and vice chair rotate every six months among the five regions. The chair is the investor representative for each region and the vice chair is the CEO of the respective investor network.
Climate Action 100+ is delivered through a set of Engagement Working Groups operating across regions and sectors. All investor signatories can join a Global Forum to receive updates on engagements across the regions. Meetings are held on a biannual basis and focus on progress in different regions and sectors.
The Climate Action 100+ Engagement Working Groups are:
- Asia: AIGCC-PRI Asia Engagement Group
- Australasia: IGCC Australasia Engagement Group
- Europe: IIGCC European Engagement Group
- Multi-Region: PRI Global Engagement Group
- North America: Ceres North American Engagement Group